The SB Opportunity Fund is a $100 million venture fund dedicated to supporting and building a community of outstanding Black, Latinx and Native American founders.
Delane Parnell, PlayVS
An open letter to Black, Latinx, and Native American Founders
Disruption as a buzzword is everywhere in venture capital. But what is rarely disrupted is the VC approach itself. Investors often look for patterns, referrals and pedigree to make the investment process efficient, safely fitting into established norms. The unintended consequence is that brilliant founders are often passed over. This expresses itself in many ways, perhaps none more harmful than the fact that Black, Latinx, and Native American founders are largely left out of the VC ecosystem. We believe this is bad for society and bad for business.
At the SoftBank Group, we look to invest in untapped markets with massive growth potential. We know from decades of experience that finding such markets and executing flawlessly on an idea requires a unique point of view, bold vision, and tenacity. Underrepresented founders of color inherently bring a unique perspective to any industry they choose, and the daily trials of systemic racism make them battle-ready for both life and business. We think more of these founders would build extraordinary companies given the chance, the network and the capital to do so.
Through the SB Opportunity Fund, we are committed to inviting more visionary, underrepresented founders into our global ecosystem. To do that, we are assembling a diverse Investment Committee that includes members from both inside and outside of SoftBank, and looking at early stage investments alongside growth investments for the first time in decades.
And through this work, we are committed to demonstrating that there is no tradeoff between diversity and excellence.
We know that diversity is good for business, and we know that unconventional thinking works. Our door is wide open for outstanding Black, Latinx, and Native American founders from across the US, with no warm introductions needed.
If that describes you, please reach out. We can’t wait to hear from you.
Sheena Allen, CapWay
Committed to your vision, committed to your growth
David Dindi, Atomic
Access to dedicated capital
Mitchell Jones, Lendtable
Mentorship and expertise from a community of experienced entrepreneurs
Meet our founders
- Anthony HillFounder, Adapdix
- Tope Alabi, Obirije JohnCo-Founders, Afriex
- Joanna SmithFounder, AllHere
- Edrizio De La CruzFounder, Arcus
- David DindiFounder, Atomic
- Felipe Kettlun, Francisco TorrealbaCo-Founders, Blissway
- Sheena AllenFounder, CapWay
- Ruben Harris, Artur Meyster, Tim MeysterCo-Founders, Career Karma
- Phillippe Siclait, Sebastien SiclaitCo-Founders, Clay
- David Rincon-Cruz, Jamie SunderlandCo-Founders, Cheqout
- Alex Alvarado, Luke MercadoCo-Founders, Daybreak Health
- Nicolas Salhuana, Ned RocksonCo-Founders, Debrief
- Anthony KelaniCo-Founder, DNABlock
- David Cancel, Elias TorresCo-Founders, Drift
- Matteo Franceschetti, Massimo Andreasi Bassi, Alexandra ZatarainCo-Founders, Eight Sleep
- Kwasi Oppong-BaduCo-Founder, Epihub
- Abel Mengistu, Alex GreavesCo-Founders, Flutter Flow
- Brooks SimeCo-Founder, Gather
- Killer Mike, Andrew Young, Ryan GloverFounders, Greenwood
- Halston Prox, Joshua SmithCo-Founders, HealNow
- Mohamed Abou Shousha MD, PhDFounder, Heru
- Sheridan Clayborne, Mitchell JonesCo-Founders, Lendtable
- Carissa Castro, Leandro CastroCo-Founders, Logica
- Ricardo VilladiegoFounder, Lumu
- Carlos Rodriguez-Rosario, Jordan IsipCo-Founders, Marketbase
- Diishan Imira, Taylor WangCo-Founders, Mayvenn
- Cesar Talledo, Rodny MolinaCo-Founders, Nestybox
- Jeremy Almond, Scott CampbellCo-Founders, Paystand
- Michael BroughtonCo-Founder, Perch
- Pablo FerrariFounder, Ping Pong
- Delane ParnellFounder, PlayVS
- Elise Smith, Heather ShenCo-Founders, Praxis Labs
- Pablo FerrariFounder, Process Labs
- Ryan PerryFounder, Pyroscope
- Auston BunsenFounder, QuikNode
- Sevetri WilsonFounder, Resilia
- Christina Czap, Felipe Saint-JeanCo-Founders, Seer
- Dave Salvant, Songe LaRonCo-Founders, Squire
- Wil EyiFounder, Toolbox
- Kobie FullerCo-Founder, Valence
- Joseph KitongaFounder, Vitable
- Amir Hemmat, Raul LomeliCo-Founders, Welcome Technologies
- Andres Garcia AmayaFounder, Zoe Financial
Reach out and tell us about your business. We look forward to getting to know you.
To be eligible for consideration, your business must be:
- Based in the United States
- Led by a Black, Latinx, or Native American founder or CEO
- Seed, venture, or growth stage (we do not make pre-seed investments)
- Technology-focused or technology-enabled